31 October, 2006

End

The cogs turn faster now. Though everyone, I suppose, wished that the track would move slower. In less than a month it would all be over and we walk out the gates one last time. There is an end to everything, so to speak, and this is it.

The sentimental types would turn all glassy-eyed at the mere thought of separation. Promises are made: I will never ever forget you. I will always keep in touch. Promises that are forgotten the moment the sun rises up on a new day, and one sets foot in a new land.

It's true.

This is not the voice of cynicism, it is reality. Everyone experiences separation. Man leaves wife, child leaves family, lover leaves lover. The only real difference is some separations appear to be reversible and some appear as how they really are. Permanent.

Of course, one should never lose hope. Nay, the believer is the consumate optimist, even in the worst of circumstances. Kabhi Alveda Na Kehna, they say. "Never Say Goodbye". Goodbye eliminates all hope of reunion. It eliminates hope.

In other words, 'till we meet again. It's been nice knowing you.

1 comment:

Syazwina Saw said...

Salaam.

I feel it incumbent upon me to comment about your post:

And so I would have to say that I felt the same. I was even, admittedly, tearful at the thought of leaving the 198 people who made up AUSMAT 16. I loved the lecturers. I loved the idiotic pranks we would get to. I love the fact that unlike high school and other colleges I know, there were no (visible) cliques in my preU, and that these people were all so different, yet so accepting of each other.

The people I knew were geared to succeed.

Back then I had a different scale of judgement, of course. My closest pals, I called my Pseudo-Family. We had ranks, and I was Ucu. We had 'family dinners' weekly, and I would incessantly bully my 'big brothers'.

The times have passed now, and the Pseudo-Family is, admittedly, all but defunct. Having changed so much (some for better, some maybe for worse, Allahu'alam), we no longer see much common ground that would make us want to RELATE.

Some people from AUSMAT choose to stay away from the past. Some people would say that I'm one of them.

I once said that I couldn't understand why people drank coffee, when there was earl grey right in front of them. Now I have a cafe-radar stuck right under my nose, and I am crazy for Aussie coffee.

I used to be one of those people who say "I will never forget you." Seems like I've broken my promise. It seems as if I don't even care. Truth is, I feel that I just forgot. Humans, insani - it's only natural to forget.

And so I read your article with a bit of nostalgia and a bit of cynicism. Because I think I'm living you and your friends' future.

We view the future through rose-tinted granny glasses, and forget that the truth is more painful, and that it comes in greys, not psychedelic technicolour.

P.S:- Am only too glad to point out more of UmmahFilms' work to aunty. Ali's vblogs are cool rants on things from Jumu'ah khutbah to Flying Muslim. She should check out the one called backbiting, on YouTube. If you're female, mesti terasa. :)

P.P.S:-
I don't know any Sheikhs here, except for al-Hilaly, and itu pun from a far, far distance. But any good scholar would say that nothing will beat your du'a, except maybe the du'a and solah hajat of the wonderful being who gave birth to you.

So rerajinlah mintak tolong Aunty du'akan selalu.